We asked 5 questions to Fiona Moverley (ENG) - N°2 Seed et world N°28 :
1. Fiona, it's wonderful to see you registered at the Open International de squash de Nantes. You travel a lot around the world on the world tour. Have you ever competed in a professional competition in France in your career ?
Yes I have completed in a few and have actually won a tour title in France : Open International des Volcans in 2015 (in Clermont-Ferrand).
2. You stoped your career for almost 5 years, you've been back on the world tour since 2014. What did you make during this break ?
During my time away from the tour I was working full time in sport. I was in charge of all of the primary and secondary schools sports programmes and ran all of the local and regional competition. We had an extensive tournament calendar giving children of all ages and abilities access to over 20 sports.
3. Where is your home club ? And who are your main coaches and training partners ?
I play at 3 clubs in my local city of Hull. Hull & East Riding squash club where I play for the Yorkshire league team. Ferriby Hall squash club where I do a lot of my on court training. And also University of Hull where I train on court and also do my strength and conditioning training with support from their sports science team. My coach is Andy Cockerill and I train a lot of my own but we also have a lot of young players in the area that are great to train with.
4. You recently succeed a great result at the World Games in Wroclaw reaching the semifinals (failing against the world number 3 : Camille Serme). But most of all, you won the N°1 seed of the upcoming competition in Nantes : Millie Tomlinson. Tell us a little bit about this performance ... Does that put you in confidence to win the tournament ?
I had a great week at the World Games and enjoyed playing in a tournament as preparation for the coming season. I've played Millie a couple of times on the tour and she has beaten me so it was really important to me that I got the win this time. It has given me more confidence going into the tournament in Nantes but I will be concentrating on each round at a time because the draw is very strong and I won't be taking anything for granted.
5. You got your first selection in the England team this year, your team even won the title of the European Team Championship (against the French team in the final). What are your future goals after this nice performance ?
It was a privilege to represent my country and wear the England shirt and be part of the Winning European champs team. I'd love to further this achievement and represent England in more international tournaments including the commonwealth games next year.